Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

First year of freedom






I arrived in Europe one year ago today. I landed with a limited 182 euros, following a run-away roadtrip in the states, and the name of a hostel. A week later and I was down to 20 euros and still just the name of the hostel. It worked out, I didn't become a bum, well not in the traditional sense, and I got a job at the hostel. From there it was pretty plain sailing from a survival point, although Barcelona was a bit of a stretch and as was the beginning of winter on the streets of Amsterdam. With one year down, any development is difficult to identify. I am a few countries away in Italy now but still working in a hostel. No real progress there. I have no huge savings to boast of, and little memorabilia. But there have been positives. For example I;

1. Perfected the Captain Planet dance medley.
2. Purchased shoes off the feet of a guy on the street.
3. Didn't die.
4. Developed an incredibly believable arm-wrestling background for myself.
5. Picked up an array of colourful sunglasses.

A very satisfying year. Achieving more than that would be overly ambitious. I did manage to have one goal, which was to pay little notice to reason and logic and special attention to the feint itches and tickles of my slightest whims and desires.

The utter freedom led me to choosing exactly what I wanted and that has been exhilirating, inspiring and even challenging.The books resonated with me, the people inspired me and the experiences encouraged me. Here's to another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Darwin, Australia
My name is Matt, and these are my stories.