Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

Fuck the real world. I'm travelling.

The rat race and the corporate ladder are not for me. I have no interest in alarm clocks beckoning me to work, traffic that stifles my spirit, the pressure of deadlines and the stress of worry. I shun rules that try to control, and restrictions and regulations that aim to inhibit. Shoot convention, expectations, set plans and taboos. I prefer to lose control, break free, let go and relax. I hope to be ruled by adventure and have strange and dangerous encounters. I need novelty, uncertainty and the unknown.

Screw the system. I want my own life.
Screw commitment. Viva freedom!

I seek not security or settling or second best. I seek my ideals - a hippie utopia on a slice of paradise. Why waste your life on a meaningless job or trivial endeavours? Why not aim for something bigger. I want to refuse the false seductions of superficial success. I want to base my life on genuine experiences and authentic adventures. I want to shun conformity, I want to be nobody but myself.

I do my best to spit in the face of fear and embrace courage - the courage to begin, the courage to pursue my dreams and the courage to live my life the way I want to.

Go to hell with routine and monotony and mundanity and mediocrity. Now is not the time for a quiet life or a calm existence. Now is the time for movement and the open road and the wind in my hair and the sun on my face. I desire the reckless abandon of bare feet and tiny umbrellas in my drink. I crave a fresh perspective, a new language, a unique culture. I want to see the world. I want an endlessly changing horizon, to each day have a new and different sun.

Fuck the real world. I'm travelling.





* I wrote the bulk of this almost two years ago while I was a student. I still have the same convictions but maybe in not such an aggressive manner. Amazingly, and against my best attempts, my opinions have developed slightly. I still, however, am not the biggest fan of hard work nor blind conformity.

3 comments:

  1. Nice one Matt. Your on my blogroll. gyshough.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this made me think of the following by Carl W. Hirschmann..

    'I do not choose to be a common man. It is my right to be uncommon if I can. I seek opportunity not security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state look after me. I want to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed. I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of euphoria.

    I will not trade my freedom for beneficence, nor my dignity for a handout. It is my heritage to think and to act for myself, enjoy the benefit of my creations, and to face the world boldly and say, this I have done.

    Mike Timm put me onto your Blog. What a pleasure - keep it up for those of us stuck behind the stale existence of routine.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Darwin, Australia
My name is Matt, and these are my stories.